Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Things We Carry



So, it’s time for your Disney World vacation; what do you absolutely need to bring with you?  Well, when it comes to packing for any trip, I could do with an undetectable extension charm for my luggage. When it is time to tour the parks, my inability to pack light does not disappear.  On every trip, I always carry a backpack, my camera (a hefty DSLR with extra zoom lens), my small purse, and my pin strap.  That is a lot of gear, and I have tried many times to de-bulk, but it is impossible for me to do so.  I like to be prepared for whatever may befall my while I am exploring the World. 

In my backpack, I always bring some sort of rain gear, various medicines, trading pins, a hat, Band-Aids and blister pads, extra socks, Ziploc bags, and a carbineer.  This is the minimum that I can carry.  The heaviest item that I bring has to be my camera.  It is a DSLR, and I usually bring my zoom lens too.  Sometimes, I also bring my point and shoot camera.  Basically, I need a wagon to tote around all of the gear that I bring with me.  My husband always asks me why I need so much stuff, and my answer remains that I like to be prepared for whatever may befall us.  Now, Disney Parks are not some undiscovered wilderness, but I know that if I have to buy what I need, I will be spending some serious money.  For example, on one trip, I needed some Tylenol for a headache, and I had to spend $4.00 for two Tylenol pills.  That is pretty expensive, so I always make sure that I have my own. 

Is carrying all of this stuff annoying?  Yes, there are many times that I feel like chucking my backpack into the Seven Seas Lagoon and bidding it a fond farewell.  However, my desire to be prepared outweighs this momentary weakness.  With all of this in mind, what do you really need to bring with you into the park to have a smooth day of touring?  Well, this answer will widely vary with regard to the people in your traveling party.  If you have small children, your needs will be far greater than they would with a group of teens and adults.  Overall, there are some things that you should not be without.  For example, you should bring your own water from home.  Water in Disney Parks is very expensive, and it is easy to bring water from home.  You should definitely wear a hat and sunscreen to protect yourself from the harsh Florida sun.  You should also bring some sort of wallet, plastic bag, or carrying case for your park passes and Fastpasses.  You do not want these items to get wet in the frequent Florida rain showers.  Finally, you should have some sort of rain gear.  You could purchase a poncho from Disney or bring your own.  We opt to bring our own because we have serious rain gear that we purchased from a sporting goods store.

The bottom line is that there is no correct amount of stuff to carry.  It all depends on the needs of the group with whom you are traveling.  Here’s to happy travels and the invention of a backpack that can carry a ton but weigh just an ounce, or maybe I’ll use that undetectable extension charm if only I could get my wand to work.  Until next time, have a magical day, and keep moving forward!


No comments:

Post a Comment