Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Are You a Disney Coffee Connoisseur?

Many people have tackled the subject of coffee in Disney World.  The general consensus among many blogs that I have read is that Nescafe is not a favorite among serious coffee drinkers.  Nescafe is a topic that comes up quite frequently with regard to Disney World beverages.  This type of coffee is basically instant coffee that is the staple of the food courts at Disney World as well as many counter services.  Despite the hate that Nescafe receives on a daily basis from Internet bloggers, I am here to say that I love Nescafe!  Yes, I do love it!  The smell of this instant coffee lets me know that I am in Disney World.  In addition to the scent, I even love the taste.  I know that this coffee is not that high of a quality, but I still love it anyway.  I will actually choose Nescafe over higher quality coffee if it is available.  Am I crazy?  Perhaps I am.
            Now, even though I am a fan of Nescafe, I have branched out when at the World to try other types of coffee both of the hot and cold variety.  Several restaurants offer coffee that has been brewed in a press pot.  This type of brewing process actually occurs when you combine the coffee grinds and boiling water in a glass carafe.  The boiling water and grinds brew for a while, and the process of “pressing” the water through the grinds creates the coffee.  Kona Café, The Wave, Narcoossee's, and Jiko all offer various types of coffee in a press pot.  Kona Café sells 100% Kona coffee from Hawaii, and this coffee is very smooth.  You can order the press pot and drink this coffee at your meal, but you can also buy the coffee to take home with you.  My husband purchases this coffee in whole beans, grinds it himself, and uses a press pot at home in order to recreate the coffee from Kona Café.  He really likes that coffee!  The Wave and Narcoossee's sell pretty standard coffee in their press pots, but it is of higher quality than Nescafe.  At Jiko, you can order a press pot of Kenyan coffee, which I found to be very strong.  I tend to like a weaker and smoother brew for my coffee.  All of these examples represent the many different types of hot coffee that we have sampled around the World.
             In addition to hot coffee, we have also tried varying flavors of frozen/iced coffees in WDW.  In the Magic Kingdom, my favorite iced coffee can be found at Sleepy Hollow refreshments in Liberty Square.  The French vanilla iced coffee is delicious, and you do not even need to add sweetener.  It is perfect just the way it is prepared.  I also enjoy the iced coffee float from the Sunshine Tree Terrace.  This beverage is more of a dessert because it combines iced coffee and ice cream into a tasty treat.  As for other cold varieties of coffee, we have tried iced lattes at the Writer’s Stop at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.  This beverage was good, but not any different from any other iced latte I have had.  We have also tried the frozen coffee from the Animal Kingdom.  My husband really enjoyed this coffee, but it was too sweet for me.  That coffee is definitely more of a dessert item.
            After sampling many different types of coffee from around WDW, I can honestly say that I am not too serious or picky when it comes to my choice of coffee.  I will drink any kind of coffee, and I am perfectly fine drinking Nescafe.  If you enjoy a stronger brew, you may want to stick to Kona coffee or some of the other coffee that is served in press pots at finer dining establishments.  Until next time, have a magical day, and keep moving forward! 
Here is my husband enjoying his pure Kona coffee at the Polynesian.

No comments:

Post a Comment