Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Hunting for Disneyana



Look at this stuff, isn’t it neat?  Wouldn’t you think my collection’s complete?  Do these words from Ariel, the little mermaid, sound familiar?  Well, to me these words apply to my ever-growing Disneyana collection.  I love to purchase all things Disney, even if I am not in Disney World.  Some of my favorite purchases are vintage/antique items that I find in online auctions or flea markets.  I have found many treasures by hunting both the Internet and various stores for Disney merchandise that has long been retired.  Disney souvenirs of the past were so detailed and specific to the time period and parks from which they came.  Anything that is labeled as being produced by Walt Disney Productions is probably from the early 1980s or earlier.  Disney stopped printing this label on their current items.  Many items are now just marked Disney or Disney Parks.  You know that you have something a little vintage when you check out the year or date printed on the item as well as the manufacturer.  I love to collect anything that is from the days of Disney past.
Over the course of my hunting, I have purchased many pieces of jewelry that clearly come from a time when souvenirs were more than just t-shirts, plastic cups, and the like.  One of my most recent acquisitions has been a Disneyland locket bracelet.  This is no ordinary locket; it comes with miniature post cards from the days of Disneyland’s past.  The pictures are very detailed, and judging from the content, they seem to come from the late 1950s or early 1960s.  In addition, the locket has a small medallion on the front cover with an engraving of Sleeping Beauty Castle.  The locket resembles a small book, and it is one of my favorite pieces of Disneyana past. 






                                
I have also purchased a watch that is from the 1982 opening of EPCOT Center at Wald Disney World.  This watch is a gold and silver tone piece, and it is beautiful.  The attention to detail in the face of the watch shows the monorail circling Spaceship Earth, which is made of a shiny silver material.  The watch has a metal band, and is somewhat dressy.



Lastly, I have also purchased a heavy silver bracelet that is from Disneyland.  It includes pictures of the long-lost Skyway attraction as well as the Matterhorn and Sleeping Beauty Castle.  It is another piece of beautiful craftsmanship, and it is sterling silver.

                      
All of these items are some of my cherished souvenirs, and Disney needs to continue to make such beautiful pieces for guests to purchase and treasure.  Disney merchandising has recently returned to a more nostalgic and park specific line of merchandise, which is a welcome change for all of the visitors who do not want to purchase a generic t-shirt.  In the past year, I have purchased some of the retro t-shirts that have started popping up at the World as well as the well-made, but very expensive, Dooney and Bourke purses (I have 5 of them!).  Hopefully, Disney merchandising will continue to listen to the public and produce high quality items that people will be able to keep and continue to enjoy just as I am giving a second home to all of the treasures that I have found at flea markets and on the web.  Until next time, have a magical day, and keep moving forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment